This decadent dessert is a healthy twist on a Christmas classic. 100% vegan, this one is sure to spread extra joy this holiday season
- 125 grams dairy-free margarine, plus extra for greasing the bowl and paper
- 75ml rum
- 350 grams mixed sultanas and raisins
- 375 grams dried figs
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 85 grams light brown soft sugar
- 85 grams dark brown soft sugar
- 100 grams breadcrumbs
- 100 grams self-raising flour
- ½ tbsp allspice
- 1-2 scoops of your favourite flavour of Cocofrio
- Grease a 2-litre pudding bowl with dairy-free margarine, then line the base with a circle of baking paper. Grease a large sheet of baking paper then lay it on top of a large sheet of foil, margarine side up. Fold a pleat in the middle of each sheet.
- Roughly chop 125 grams of the figs and set aside. Put the remaining figs, the dairy-free margarine and the rum into a large food processor and whizz until smooth, then scrape into a large mixing bowl. Top in the chopped figs, sultanas, raisins, grated apple, sugar, breadcrumbs, flour and allspice. Stir all together, then spoon into your pudding basin.
- Cover with the buttered paper foil sheet, tie with string and trim. Lower into a large saucepan, with upturned saucers or scrunched up bits of foil in the bottom, then fill the pan with enough boiling water from the kettle to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Cover with a lid and simmer for 3 hours, topping up the water as needed. Remove and leave to cool. Will keep in a cool, dry cupboard for up to a year.
- Serve on Christmas day with your favourite scoops of Cocofrio! Enjoy!